Tuesday 26 July 2011

A Summer Challenge


My Summer Challenge 2011 is to conquer my baking fears and to actually bake something successfully.  What better item to speed me on my way than my Granny's Kenwood Chef? At 97 my Granny has hung up her spatula and stored away her beloved bero books and generously donated her Kenwood Chef to me. Well here she is and what a beauty. Well not quite!
I transported the box home and placed it in the shed for a couple of months whilst my new kitchen was being installed.  On Monday night I decided it was time to unwrap the box, sure in the knowledge that the sight of her Kenwood A701a would bring back all those childhood memories and along with it all of her skills.
The first box contained the blender, another a whole series of mincing and chopping devices, all boxed in their original packaging. Next, out of layers of newspaper, came the famous K beater and the balloon whisk. It was all very christmas like, the excitement growing at each layer. However, underneath the lovingly kept Kenwood cover was not the original A701a that I was hoping for but a newer version! Granny had clearly updated to a Kenwood Gourmet Food Processor. It's true that my heart sank like my cakes usually do and I went straight to ebay to see if I could purchase an original. I was surprised to see so many and all at a good price too. That was it then. I would purchse an original A701a and continue with my Summer challenge.

It was a restless night. I already knew which recipes I was going to attempt first but my mind was wrestling over the Kenwood Chef. The whole purpose of the new kitchen was to cut down on clutter and to upgrade some of the  appliances. The buying of an original Kenwood would be a real retrograde step. I already have a magimix, which I love, and storage space is real issue. Therefore I decided that I would keep my Granny's kind donations and put them to good use but that I wouldn't obtain an original A701a,despite the name of the blog!

This blog is dedicated to Dora, my Granny who actually likes to be called Grandma not Granny.  All of which is slightly irrelevant as we affectionately call her Cherub instead of Grandma anyway. I will certainly be tapping into all her knowledge and top tips on my visits to her this year.

On with the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment